Monday, July 21, 2008

Early American Art Show (kind of).

Okay. Let's talk eating extra fiber toast while doing this. People, let's talk Bringing Home Baby on The Learning Channel mornings: 9 a. m. 


Today's show was about bringing home the baby of a single mom visiting from Africa. The fact she lives right now with her mother and a single sister who lives in said house with her boyfriend (said single sister has twin four year olds not fathered by boyfriend) did not put me off at all. No. The family's genealogy did not stump me. But I am watching Bringing Home Baby and I had to do a double take because those four year old twins had scribbled with black crayon ON EVERY WALL IN THAT HOUSE. I quit focusing on the Baby Brought Home. My eyes fused to the early American artwork covering every room's walls. 


Up, down, sideways, circles, dots, squares, a mishmash of black. Did I do wrong with my five kids? Did my Baby Brought Home lack for crayoned wall art? Did my kids lack for creative development because a whack on the bottom was their just dues for scribbling Early American art on the walls

All right. When these reality shows enter the homes of Americans - homes like yours, homes like mine - there is a sneaky interest in the home's decor, a sneaky interest in household pets (kicked off family bed because now it is about the BABY), and sneaky interest in foods consumed. Today's show had it all, folks: a gold fish as a dining table center piece (WAIT! maybe not, maybe that was HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL,) but the chopping, steaming of vegetables did propel my not shrinking too fast self to grab a handful of M and M's. 


H. o. w. e. v. e. r. it is the twin's Early American wall art that sucked my eyeballs like the credit union's money tubes. Good grief, every wall. Every. single. wall. 

No comments: