Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hmmm.
Moving is not fun. Growing up, by the time I graduated from high school, I had lived in 18 houses. My parents would build a home, sell a home, rent a home to live in while building another home, and live in that home, sell that home. The home I lived in during high school bordered a smooth running creek. When my parents put out the FOR SALE BY OWNER sign, my older brother pulled the sign from the earth, walked the sign to the creek. With a heave and ho, flung the sign into the creek. My brother walked back home. Told my parents what he had done. They did not sell the home until I had graduated from high school. 

Post Script: One home my parents rented had the nastiest, dirtiest tub. I did not bathe for the six months we lived in that home. I would shower in the locker room at school. As much as I hated showering at school, I hated that tub worse. My brothers slept in the basement of that home. One night they were aroused from sleep by a drunk Native American from the nearby reservation. My brother threw a tennis shoe at the drunk. The guy stumbled into the coal room and crashed. In the morning, he took off. So much for rental homes of the cheap variety!

No comments: