Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Deep Freeze Coaching

The literacy coaching institute in Salt Lake is excellent, my friends. There is one draw back, however. The conference room at the Sheraton is cooled to a deep freeze temperature. The complaints about the cold room commenced before the trainer spoke her first words. The person in charge commented that she always dresses warm for conferences because of the air conditioning. Shortly after her announcement, a lady at our table went to her car. She came back bulked up by three HUGE quilts. The quilts were heavy duty. I elected to listen from the hallway. My finger tips were so cold I could no longer take notes. Another person in charge tried to convince me that the right side of the room was actually warmer than the left side where my table sat. Lunch wasn't iceberg lettuce but they served lunch in another conference room that was warmer. Then I sat in my 130 degree car for about 30 minutes. The warmth of that car never felt so good. Normal temperature people would succumb to death in that car. When I emerged my new found freezer friends informed me my face was flushed. The hotel management turned the cooler down for the afternoon training. With my brain unnumbed I had a flashback to my summer of being 14 when I worked at the Dipsy Doodle. My friend, Valerie, and I created whopping hot fudge Sundays and stood in the deep freeze to indulge ourselves. We quit doing that when the owner found us one day - a wee bit huffed that Mr. Cohen owner was. We repented fast. We indulged ourselves in the kitchen where loyal, responsible workers should indulge anyway. 

1 comment:

Lyndsie Miles said...

You think they could save on engergy by keeping it not quite fridged temperatures. LOL. Was the conference topic a good one?